As my teacher friends return to work, my mind keeps shifting to the emotions I'd usually have on a day like today… refreshed, revived, and optimistic about the newness that lay before me. Perhaps the slightest bit sad, letting go of summer freedom and returning to an early hour wake-up and tightly dictated, scheduled day. A little anxious, as the end of summer school dreams start to make their way into my nightly world. Teaching is unique in so many ways; one aspect of the profession I've always cherished is the fact I get to start anew again and again… I get to constantly refine, reflect, and revisit my practice, my attitudes and beliefs, the ways in which I do things, and observe how they affect others. I get to delight in the highs and trudge through the lows with a group of teenagers trying to find their place in the world. I get to work at becoming a master of my craft, year and after year.
I still can't believe I'm taking a break after 15 years of being in the classroom. School has been my life, a huge part of my identity. An opportunity came my way, and I took it, with a leap and no net beneath (it will appear!). So, here I go on my yearlong sabbatical into the great unknown, to places I've longed to step foot in, cultures I wish to observe and take part in. Sometimes I say travel is my addiction, but when I really look at the why behind being a traveler, it always has to do with the possessing of an overwhelming sense of wonder and a longing to be forever changed by what exists outside my own realm of understanding. The people I've met, the experiences I've had, so far, are beyond describable… they have shaped me into a better version of myself. Travel is my personal investment.
So I am making my way to South America in two weeks: Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil, Peru, Bolivia, Chile to start. Then I'll be heading to Southeast Asia for a few months after that. Later, I'll continue on to Australia and New Zealand. I am being pulled, and it's time to really do it! After all, a girl's got to keep her priorities in check :) Eternally grateful for this time, the people who support me in every decision I make, and all the amazing things that aligned that allowed me the chance to just go. Yes!
Aiming to keep you updated on each part of the journey… for sure!



No comments:
Post a Comment