Wow, wow, wow… where to even start? I am on Day 46 of my travels through South America and soaking up every experience as much as possible. There is nothing like travel to get you focused only on the moment, venturing into the unexpected, the empty slate of a new day given for you to do what you will, in a new place, with new people… over and over again.
When I set out on this year of travel, I expected to be writing every single day. Something about travel tends to bring out the poet and philosopher in me. However, much of my writing has been in my journal and of a more personal nature, a much-needed process and memento for the future. It's been difficult to find time or the desire to sit in front of the computer and form my experiences into full sentences to share with others in the way that I wish, let alone reliable internet that allows me to upload photos and post quickly whenever I feel the urge. So, I have just been taking it all in to share at a later date, once I have it all sifted and sorted. Thinking, considering...
So far, I have been to Argentina: Buenos Aires, Iguassu Falls, Uruguay: Colonia, Montevideo, an estancia near the Rio Negra, Brazil: Iguassu, Paraty, Ilha Grande, Rio de Janeiro, and Sao Paulo. Then I made my way to the other side in Peru: Lima, Cusco, Ollantaytambo, Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu, Puno, and now Bolivia: La Paz, Sucre, Potosi, and I'll be heading to Uyuni today. I'll spend a couple days in the desert of Uyuni at the Salt Flats, and looking forward to absolute simplicity, a deck of cards, and bundling up in my alpaca sweater, gloves, and hat in order to stay warm!
On another note, I have never felt so much gratitude in my life. This yearlong experience is one giant gift that just happened to find me with impeccable timing. But I don't feel it was a fluke, as I have worked tirelessly and made careful decisions about my life goals that helped to put me on this path o' fun. Everything truly is a give and take. Perhaps being a bit older and wiser, I am appreciating this later gap year so much more than I may have back in my early 20s. I would never go back to that younger self, as I treasure the sense of peace and calm that seems to have sneaked up on me and set in. I now see things with experienced eyes, and take it all in more slowly with consideration and, often, awe. Because I also know myself so much better, I just get it. I don't feel that anxious, people-pleasing, sense of searching I once held onto so tightly. It's just me, my intentions, and whatever I want to make of this.
And so here I go, with many photos, stories, and anecdotes to come. Please drop a message or text if so inclined, as it is so wonderful to hear from people who know me and ground me, as I float in and around this strange, amazing world. Love!
No comments:
Post a Comment