"The only thing constant in the world is change." -Heraclitus, but India.Arie rocked it too
Change doesn't scare me. In fact, I can't seem to get enough of it. I'm all for being flexible, rolling with the punches, adapting to the environment, the times, the surroundings. Figuring out new paths is one of the challenges in life I find most satisfying. However, what if "Plan A" was pretty amazing, maybe even utterly spectacular? How much do you push back and try to show it who's boss? People talk of coming to an understanding of the idea that everything happens for a reason and that nothing in life is static. I understand that viewpoint, and it exists because the sheer optimism in it keeps us going with forward momentum. It gives us faith and hope that everything we do is for something. I believe that concept, but not blindly. Anything that's worth something requires further thought.
A friend sent me a book called Broken Open that combines a series of memoirs, stories, and insights that have made me really focus on the negative phases and circumstances we must go through in order to grow. The muck and mire exist with purpose. People don't often discuss that part of it... sifting around in the negative, dark, and ominous in order to evolve and change. She refers to 13th century poet Rumi, who stated in much more eloquent words than I, that the very moment we accept the troubles we have been given, the door will open. This is something I'm working on believing, as I'm sure accepting the troubles involve more work than posting a sticker that says "Shit happens" (one of my favorite cartoon ads on the Swiss bus, by the way!). One of the points the author makes is that a first step toward this acceptance occurs when we come to the realization that we all have our own icky stuff to deal with. Collectively, we all have a bit of crazy. We tend to lean toward expressing only the shallow good rather than the deep, soulful bad. We do this for lots of reasons, of course. What do you always answer when someone asks how you're doing? Great, good, okay? Me too.
By quoting clown activist Wavy Gray (who inspired the awesome Ben and Jerry's flavor), she clarifies this concept simply. "We're all bozos on the bus, so we might as well sit back and enjoy the ride." Still optimistic, but just so much more real. Enjoying this read so far. Only on pg. 52, but focused on trying to enjoy the ride with the other whackadoos, hopefully just one bump at a time...
Change doesn't scare me. In fact, I can't seem to get enough of it. I'm all for being flexible, rolling with the punches, adapting to the environment, the times, the surroundings. Figuring out new paths is one of the challenges in life I find most satisfying. However, what if "Plan A" was pretty amazing, maybe even utterly spectacular? How much do you push back and try to show it who's boss? People talk of coming to an understanding of the idea that everything happens for a reason and that nothing in life is static. I understand that viewpoint, and it exists because the sheer optimism in it keeps us going with forward momentum. It gives us faith and hope that everything we do is for something. I believe that concept, but not blindly. Anything that's worth something requires further thought.
A friend sent me a book called Broken Open that combines a series of memoirs, stories, and insights that have made me really focus on the negative phases and circumstances we must go through in order to grow. The muck and mire exist with purpose. People don't often discuss that part of it... sifting around in the negative, dark, and ominous in order to evolve and change. She refers to 13th century poet Rumi, who stated in much more eloquent words than I, that the very moment we accept the troubles we have been given, the door will open. This is something I'm working on believing, as I'm sure accepting the troubles involve more work than posting a sticker that says "Shit happens" (one of my favorite cartoon ads on the Swiss bus, by the way!). One of the points the author makes is that a first step toward this acceptance occurs when we come to the realization that we all have our own icky stuff to deal with. Collectively, we all have a bit of crazy. We tend to lean toward expressing only the shallow good rather than the deep, soulful bad. We do this for lots of reasons, of course. What do you always answer when someone asks how you're doing? Great, good, okay? Me too.
By quoting clown activist Wavy Gray (who inspired the awesome Ben and Jerry's flavor), she clarifies this concept simply. "We're all bozos on the bus, so we might as well sit back and enjoy the ride." Still optimistic, but just so much more real. Enjoying this read so far. Only on pg. 52, but focused on trying to enjoy the ride with the other whackadoos, hopefully just one bump at a time...

No comments:
Post a Comment