Monday, April 23, 2012

Ordinary People

"My life has a superb cast, but I just can't figure out the plot." -Ashleigh Brilliant

Coming off a traveling adventure where I met some really amazing and unique people, I realize that that kind of special occurrence happens only once in a great while.  I am one of the lucky folks who stumbles upon awe-inspiring people frequently and deeply appreciates those opportunities. In daily life though, I talk to maybe 3 to 4 friends and family members, either at work or by Skype. The norm is good, satisfying. The only other people who color my life on the regular are the random strangers who dip, dive, and weave around me.  They rarely get credit, though they spend more time with me than anyone.  And, since one of my favorite past times is people-watching, here are the things I'd like to tell them...

To the bus driver who greets me every morning with a bouncy, Swiss-German "Guete Morge", you start my day out right with your positive tone and crazy-thick mustache.

To the students who have a little glimmer of naughty in their eye but know how to keep it in check, you keep me secret-laughing all day long with your humor and insight.

To the lunch lady who speaks German to me as if one day I just might get it, and uses tons of body language to make sure I get the right thing, thank you for believing in me.  Sorry to say, I may disappoint you in the end.

To the kids who ask the same questions about field trips, routines, and clearly laid out to-dos, I ask, "Have you read the blog/daily announcements?" Please, for the love of all, read the frickin blog.  It's all there, I promise.

To the man I sat next to on the bus who reeks of weed, hey, if you're ever hard up, I'm pretty sure you could just roll up a sleeve of your jacket and smoke it.

To the personal trainer who gives me a look and smile from across the gym and makes me work out harder and longer merely from that glance, I love you and hate you at the same time.

To the little kid who bumped into me with his backpack, then looked up, smiled, and whispered, "Entschuldigung" to excuse the bump, thank you. I needed that and haven't heard that word in a long while.

Here's to the ordinary people that make my days so interesting.  Cheers to you!









No comments:

Post a Comment