Monday, May 28, 2012

The unexpected

"barns burnt down... now i can see the moon" -massahide

Life is completely unpredictable and I hold an incredible amount of gratitude for this fact, particularly because everything ends up better and more colorful than I could have planned in the first place.  I have bounced around this planet with nothing other than my wits and a general plan, most of which goes by the wayside as what makes sense abruptly settles into place instead.  I've collected moments, friends, partners, and experiences that have enriched me far beyond than what I originally anticipated.

I am witness to so many positive stories of unpredictability, many of which take place immediately after a negative experience.  As I continue the book Broken Open (yes, it really is taking me this long!), the author refers to something she calls the Phoenix Process...

"Our lives ask us to die and to be reborn every time we confront change- change within ourselves and change in our world. When we descend all the way down to the bottom of a loss, and dwell patiently, with an open heart, in the darkness and pain, we can bring back up with us the sweetness of life and the exhilaration of inner growth.  When there is nothing left to lose, we find the true self- the self that is whole, the self that is enough, the self that no longer looks to others for definition, or completion, or anything but companionship on the journey."

Yes siree, an exciting place to be.

I'm planning on sharing my Asia experience here soon too, cross my heart.  When people told me it was a very stimulating place to travel, I can say that is entirely true.  Still digesting.




No comments:

Post a Comment