In Seattle, sitting on the back porch watching the squirrel family my Dad feeds swarm around the backyard. Cats basking in the sun, huge coffee mug next to me. I love being home. This trip was much more relaxing- no delays, lost luggage, or mean little airport workers. Peaceful. I've been visiting friends and running around the past week feeling like it's finally my down time.
The summer started out with a humorous lost-in-translation encounter at my gym. While in the unisex steamroom, a man I had seen earlier came in and began talking to me in German. I opened and focused my eyes... on the nakedness dangling before me. He continued the conversation as I tried to decipher what he was asking me. Finally a man came in and translated back and forth for us as naked man attempted to flirt with me. Awkward! I tried to lean back and relax again, but just couldn't keep a straight face. I left the steamroom with a thank you to the translator who responded with, "It's my small contribution."
Mom and Dad came to visit me in Switzerland, then we traveled through Italy. Beautiful hot weather, great food, outgoing, vivacious people. We flew to Rome, which was busy and bustling, then trained it up to Florence which was artsy and warm, lastly we took the train through Pisa to Cinque Terre (we stayed in Vernazza) which was laid back and authentic. Lemon and coconut gelato were a daily indulgence, and Limoncello and Lambrusco flowed a-plenty. Got some sun and lots of pictures to come when I return home!
When I head back to Switzerland the end of July, I have the lovely Mona joining me as we meet up in Atlanta and fly on together to Zurich. We'll wrap up the summer with a jaunt to Barcelona and Mallorca. I bought a humongous, floppy hat just for the occasion. I'm planning to play, read, talk, and take in as much culture as possible. This is my first uninterrupted, all-about-me summer in the last few years and all I can say is I needed it! Hope yours is just as beautiful and relaxing...
No comments:
Post a Comment