Monday, June 13, 2011

Cheerio!


London is a neverending labryinth of eclectic museums, tasty food, theatre, shopping, and historic stories. 19 students, 2 adults, and 1 phenomenal tour guide... what a fun and memorable trip to a city I love dearly!

We stayed in London for two days and saw all the sights: Westminster Abbey, Parliament, Big Ben, and everything in between. A guide told us gruesome and humorous stories of royalty past. We explored the British Museum and Museum of London (my new favorite). I had thee best freshly made ice cream in the heart of the city. I found sushi sold by the piece, individually wrapped so I could have ten different kinds. Heaven. We crowded the tube and made our way through the Underground with no bodies lost. Lastly, I saw the infamous Lion King and now know why everyone raves about it. My eyes couldn't keep up with all the beautiful costumes and intricate details on stage at once.


Outside the city, we traveled to Stonehenge and Avebury, a much larger henge built in a 3/4 mile circle. Some of the stones are burned or partially dug up, due to the interpretation that this was a place of evil. We climbed a hill in the rain to visit an underground tomb, as these "bumps" in the earth are visible throughout the countryside. Finally, we made our way to Bath, where we entered Bath Abbey and also explored the Roman Baths. Afternoon tea at Sally Lunde's was ridiculously indulgent, ordering the Sally Lunde bun filled with butter, jam, and thick cream. And yes, everyone drank tea with their pinkies up... priceless pictures of the 8th grade boys! Definitely a field trip to remember.


No comments:

Post a Comment