Monday, November 5, 2012

Juice madness

"Doesn't wine count?"  - Me, sad that the annual Zurich boat wine-hopping conflicts with my juice cleanse (!?)

Day 2, freshly prepared juices only for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks... 

As I aim to get in peak physical health by spring, I am trying out and committing to a variety of things to get me there.  It has been a series of baby steps, which seem to be working for me really well so far. Last summer, I started a simple weights and cardio program my trainer put together for me at the gym several times a week. When school started in fall, I forced myself to eat breakfast during the week and was so proud that most days I actually followed through even though I still don't dig it at all. Then, I began doing Crossfit twice a week and that has been ridiculously challenging and so, so good for me. I can feel my muscles changing and my layer of marshmallow fluff slowly retreating.  Feeling sore from a killer session lets me know that I've accomplished something beyond the norm. Switching to working out in the morning has also kept me on track so I have absolutely no excuses. I can't really get on the bus at 6:15 in workout gear, no makeup, hair disheveled, and not get off at the gym before heading to work.  Basically, I've just made up my mind that the time is now. Quit thinking, start acting...

After encouragement from some friends and watching the documentary Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead, I decided to try a 10-day juice reboot and see how I feel.  So far, so good. I purchased a juicer, loads of vegetables and fruits, and designated a day to begin my new adventure with the stuff.  After experimenting a bit in the kitchen with a hangover from Saturday's birthday party shenanigans, I have rejoiced at some creations (mango, apple, carrot) and shuddered at the funky one this morning that I had to endure all day (cucumber, pear, spinach, something else really terrible?).  The only issue is I have had a headache all day, which I think is related to no caffeine or sugar.  My body is addicted to my daily routine of coffee coffee coffee lunch coffee dinner chocolate, and it's time to be done. Right now I'm drinking a strange, yet satiating concoction of vine tomatoes, zucchini, onion, and spinach that tastes a little bit like tomato soup. Trying to come up with varieties that sit well, but I've got some friends joining me on the quest, so that helps. I think my largest hurdle will come tomorrow, once I'm done with Crossfit and hit Day 3.  Mind over matter, in full effect!


All the gear ready to go! Kind of fun and science-experimenty.


This is some messy, messy business... wish me luck :)

No comments:

Post a Comment