Sunday, January 8, 2012

New Year ahead

"Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors." -African proverb

Sometimes proverbs say it all so perfectly, wiseness and brevity being one of my favorite literary combinations. And the classic spin of a negative into a positive really does suit me and my "cup half full" outlook. But sometimes, can't I just wallow a little bit before coming to this pragmatic understanding ? Can't I muck around in the yuckiness for a while, feeling sorry for myself and longing for just a little bit more time of quiet calmness?

"I ask not for a lighter burden, but broader shoulders." -Jewish proverb

2011 was a year of highs and lows, another year of amazing memories created and lessons learned. It seems some of my greatest joys were the most simple things- fuzzy socked nights spent watching old episodes of The Wire and the West Wing, creating the best veggie chili recipe ever, conversations and time with friends and family (thank you Skype!), special moments with a special person, traveling. Lessons learned were of the can't-see-the-point-of-it-yet variety, but perhaps in retrospect it will all make sense.

"Bad is never good until worse happens." -Danish proverb

After having some oral surgery over the holiday, I am reminded not to take things for granted that may seem irrelevant (chewing food, for instance!) And that I should remember to find satisfaction in the simple (sleeping through the night without pain). Good health, family, friends... that's what it's about.

Here's to a beautiful and productive year ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment