Sunday, March 3, 2013

On the verge


"Our world faces a true planetary emergency. I know the phrase sounds shrill, and I know it's a challenge to the moral imagination." -Al Gore

My first momentous experiences with nature happened when I was growing up in Montana and found myself hiking through peaks and valleys of Glacier National Park with our youth group. Our family went camping in the Badlands of Alberta, Canada, and it was there I developed a love for geological formations like the hoodoos in Drumweller. I spent summers camping on Flathead Lake, trekking through Bear Country, and learning about the various animals and plants that inhabited the area. These were uniquely spiritual experiences, yet it was not until I was an adult that I came to fully appreciate the pristine beauty of this land. Did you know Flathead Lake is so deep, it can be seen from space? Did you know that there are 27 glaciers in the park, one of which is 400 acres and called Blackfoot Glacier? Back in 1850, it is estimated there were 150 glaciers located there (which means a loss of over 80%)? 

When I saw the graphic below, I was sadly reminded of the inevitable... several of these places are near and dear to me, and they soon will be gone. Glacier is part of my roots and the Alps are just outside my back door. At this point, the damage is not reversible and the result is something the world of science has predicted for quite a while.  We are indeed in a crisis, and people should be concerned about the days to come, in terms of the earth and her ability to cater to overpopulation, climate change, and all the natural and unnatural occurrences happening all over the globe today. Nature is linked in such discreet ways. Environmentalism should not be political, nor a statement of the day, and it drives me crazy to think there are many who still don't see their impact directly on the world under and around us. Perhaps with the losses that will occur, there will be no more option to turn a blind eye. Until then, put these remarkable places on your radar, so you may appreciate them while they are still alive and well. It's all about gratitude. I am so blessed to have been brought up in the Big Sky, surrounded by pure and utter beauty, and am determined to never take it for granted. Thought I'd share this, as well as a gigantic realization and a-ha with you, too.



No comments:

Post a Comment