After some recent a-has, I have made up my mind and will be staying in this lovely land another school year to take in the pristine landscape, bask in the fresh air of the great outdoors, teach some awesome international kids, and enjoy a ridiculously fantastic group of friends and colleagues who put a smile on my face and bounce in my step. Sushitos forever! I love love love Europe, and have so much left to explore as a person who lives here year round... I still must learn to snowboard in the Alps, skydive and canyon in Interlaken, bridge jump more in Bern, find a location where I can start my future taco truck/burrito business (I swear, it would be the hit!), and continue finding ways to avoid learning proper Schweizerdeutsch. Plus, I can't imagine another year without the gong show that is August's Techno Parade in Zurich. Still have an extra bedroom and bathroom in my quiet, cozy little rooftop home, for anyone who wishes to pay a visit!
Standing in the grocery store, contemplating major decisions in the cheese aisle, I realized living in Switzerland has changed me in a few little ways. These are some of the random bits of evidence that prove there is a Swiss-Christy:
- I have become a cheese and chocolate snob. There is a full aisle of each, and ain't nobody got time for any of that mediocre type stuff.
- As if I weren't already punctual enough, I now see managing my time as an art form. If you arrive at 7:47 to the bus that's meant to leave at that minute, it's already gone. I even bought my first Swiss watch tonight.
- I wait for the green light at the crosswalk, even when there is absolutely no one coming either way. My fellow Seattlites would boo in disdain.
- Cooking has become a favorite pasttime and I adore having company over for meals and a night of wine and good conversation over going out.
- Buying local, seasonal produce is a given and I don't have to read labels to know I'm not eating toxic garbage. No fast food ever.
- No car, no driving, no traffic, no parking, no insurance, no worries.
- I take in the four seasons with awe, just like when I grew up in Montana. I look forward to each and pay attention to my beautiful, ever-changing surroundings.
- No shopping or buying things that aren't necessary or utterly beautiful. Too expensive!
- However, I don't flinch at paying crazy prices anymore... $15 for a martini? No problem.
- I convert American standard to metric like a boss.
- I don't feel guilty taking holidays (and even going home at a decent hour), as it is expected and seen as being necessary for balance and personal well-being.
- I carry an umbrella, earphones, a book, and a journal wherever I go because who knows where I'll be?
- When I hear someone speaking English, I get excited and look around immediately, searching with a smile. Always looking for a fellow American, Canadian, or Aussie to share a laugh with!

No comments:
Post a Comment