Sunday, December 12, 2010

Going home


"The ache for home lives in all of us; a safe place where we can be as we are and not be questioned."
-Maya Angelou

6 days until I am U.S.-bound! I am looking forward to a long visit with family, friends, the Pacific Northwest, and excited for the holidays ahead. Eating, drinking, sleeping, relaxing, talking, shopping, reading, movie-watching, and just being in the company of everyone I love. That is my heaven. Looking forward to getting a good cup of coffee, listening to some music, spending hours in the bookstore, and soaking up the culture that is Seattle. Oh, how I've missed you!

Switzerland actually has quite a bit in common with Washington, which I think is another reason this transition has been fairly easy. Green, lush, rainy and gray winter, beautiful outdoor recreation options, friendly people. But what I long for right now is the laid
back, down to earth, artistic vibe I'm missing. I want to wander and hear street performers randomly under the overpass where the acoustics scream "performance space". I want to go into a gritty little dive bar and sing karaoke at the top of my lungs. I want to pay $8 for a fresher-than-fresh sushi roll in Belltown, then cruise up to Capitol Hill and people watch at a cafe. I want to drive over the floating bridge when it's choppy on one side and completely calm on the other. I want to not think about anything but the moment and how lovely it is to be in it. Genuinely looking forward to it and counting the minutes.

Until then...









1 comment:

  1. yay! almost time! i cant wait to see you! i would love to join you and people watch on cap hill :)

    ReplyDelete